The Club was established in 1879 in the very early days of organised tennis and, from records kept in the Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Museum Library, is the third oldest tennis club in Great Britain still playing.
The club was founded following the death of John Hale of Germains House, Chesham. John Hale, a keen croquet player, was one of the six founder members in 1868 of The All England Club, Wimbledon.
John Hale died in 1878, having seen the first Wimbledon Championships played on his rectangular court. His house had been owned by local squire John Fully, and it was Squire Fuller that gave land opposite Germains House to form the Chesham Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, now the Chesham 1879 Lawn Tennis and Squash Club.
The club played tennis at its original home for 97 years. In the 1900's some of the club's land was taken to build a local school, and in the 1970's the Bucks County Council came to the club requiring all of its remaining land for the school. The club then had three grass courts, a hard court, a small wooden clubhouse and around 100 members.
The club now has 6 hard courts, 3 American Clay courts and 2 squash courts which were added in the 1980s.